You are at The Krib ->Apistogramma/Dwarf Cichlids [E-mail]

Apistogramma sp. "Rio Tefé"

Contents:

  1. will the real A. agassizi Tefe please stand up?
    by Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise/bewellnet.com> (Fri, 19 Nov 1999)
  2. Rio Tefe
    by Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise/bewellnet.com> (Mon, 13 Mar 2000)
  3. Rio Tefe
    by "Phil Eaton" <peaton/hotmail.com> (Mon, 13 Mar 2000)
  4. Rio Tefe
    by Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise/bewellnet.com> (Mon, 13 Mar 2000)

will the real A. agassizi Tefe please stand up?

by Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise/bewellnet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999
To: apisto/majordomo.pobox.com

George,

There are a couple of good articles on this fish, but both are in DATZ (German).
Basically the fish were collected in the streams entering Lago Tefé (part of the
lower Rio Tefé) and Lago Catuá (down the Solomões a bit from the Rio Tefé). These
contain black water. A. sp. Tefé was collected with A. agassizii in the same sites.
Because of this the females were very hard to separate. Wild caught fish were
originally kept in 70% rain water/30% tap water (with a dGH of 20º). If my mental
math is close, that would make the dGH around 6º (no claims to accuracy). The pH was
between 6 & 6.5. For breeding they used peat filtered rain water at pH 5.5 and 28ºC
(82ºF). They got spawns of around 100 eggs using live and frozen foods.

Studies reported by Hoffmann & Hoffmann show that Tefé I x Tefé I hatching rates
were 100%; the same for Tefé II x Tefé II. Tefé I x Tefé II had hatch rates of only
20%. Tefé II males x A. agassizii females resulted in only 5% hatch rates while Tefé
II females would not spawn with A. agassizii males.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your fish and let us know of any spawnings.

Mike Wise

Geo/Len wrote:

> Hi Mike
>
> I just got a pair of Tefe 2 on Monday.  Did you have any info you can give me on
> these aggie
>
> Thanks
>
> George
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto@listbox.com.
> For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
> email apisto-request@listbox.com.
> Search http://altavista.digital.com for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!






Rio Tefe

by Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise/bewellnet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000
To: apisto/majordomo.pobox.com

Tsuh Yang,

There are several features that make A. sp. Tefé
different from the type A.
agassizii. Primary are the dark wavy horizontal
stripes above & below the lateral
band. The suborbital (cheek) stripe on A. sp. Tefé
is more uniform in width over
its entire length than that of A. agassizii. This
is more visible when comparing
displaying fish and is about the only way to
separate female aggies from Tefés. A
row of metallic scales are normally seen in the
middle of the lateral band of A.
sp. Tefé. A similar row of scales is also seen on
aggies, but not as pronounced
or as extensive. Crosses between true aggies and
Tefé result in small broods and
the offspring usually show some deformities in
their scale rows and are mostly
infertile. This is why the original importations
into Germany in the mid 90s
weren't very successful at producing fry. They
were unknowingly crossing female
aggies with male Tefés. Now that hobbyists are
able to recognize females we don't
hear how "impossible" Tefés are to breed anymore.
Difficult maybe, but not
impossible. There is no doubt that the 2 species
are very closely related and
some hard core "lumpers" still consider Tefé a
population of A. agassizii.

Mike Wise

Piabinha@aol.com wrote:

> sorry for the ignorant question, but how are Tefe not agassizi?  they seem to
> be the same species.
>
> tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto@listbox.com.
> For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
> email apisto-request@listbox.com.
> Search http://altavista.digital.com for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto@listbox.com.
For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Search http://altavista.digital.com for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!


Rio Tefe

by "Phil Eaton" <peaton/hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000
To: apisto/majordomo.pobox.com

Mike,

When differentiating the ID between the two forms, I see a definite 
difference in the black around the scales you are talking about when 
comparing Randy's photo to Uwe's photo on David Soares site.

When you started listing the color forms near the end, you didn't include 
what "shows up as" purple in the Photo on David Soares' website, and again 
on Julio Melgar's site.  In the eye of the beholder leads me to believe that 
the fish in Uwe's photo is "Purple".  Am I seeing in the photo (and I know 
color doesn't matter in the ID ;-)) a reflected color, or a body color?  
And, is this a Type I Tefe?  If not, do you know of a good reference photo 
for the Type I?  And if it isn't a Type I, what is it?

As a side note, became interested in apistos because of the spectacular 
photo by Uwe Romer on Dave's site.  Someday when I get the husbandry down, I 
was hoping to keep a pair of them for no other reason than to enjoy the 
uniqueness of that fish.

REF:
Uwe Romer's photo @ David Soares' site...
http://geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7918/aggriotefe.gif

Julio Melgar's photo...
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/images/Aatefema.gif

Randy's Type II (Per Mike)  BTW, Beautiful Fish!
http://characin.com/carey/species/cichlid/apistos/a_tefe.html

Thanks for the info...

Phil

PS.  I just finished a tank stand to hold 6 15 gallon tanks and a Daphnia 
culture in my bedroom... I finally convinced my wife that fish would make a 
lovely decoration!

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com>

<---snip--->
Randy's photo of Tefé shows  the many wavy
horizontal lines that
characterize the Tefé II form of the specie. The 2
forms of this species can be
easily separated by the pattern of horizontal
stripes on the flanks. Tefé I has
stripes composed of dark pigment only on the front
edges of the scales. The same
stripes in Tefé II are formed by black pigment
surrounding the entire outer edges
of the scales. Crossing the 2 forms reportedly
produces only Tefé I type
horizontal stripes, so the type II form must be
recessive. Color forms are in the
eyes of the owner. In Koslowski's 1994 article on
Apistos of the Rio Tefé he
pictures a red backed and a white form of what
appear to be Tefé I and a yellow
form of Tefé II. He doesn't distinguish between
the 2 forms. Matsuzaka's book
Aquarium 2300 Atlas shows a yellow & a blue Tefé,
both Tefé II.

That's the latest info that I have.

Mike Wise


______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com




Rio Tefe

by Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise/bewellnet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000
To: apisto/majordomo.pobox.com



Phil Eaton wrote:

> Mike,
>
> When you started listing the color forms near the end, you didn't include
> what "shows up as" purple in the Photo on David Soares' website, and again
> on Julio Melgar's site.  In the eye of the beholder leads me to believe that
> the fish in Uwe's photo is "Purple".  Am I seeing in the photo (and I know
> color doesn't matter in the ID ;-)) a reflected color, or a body color?
> And, is this a Type I Tefe?  If not, do you know of a good reference photo
> for the Type I?  And if it isn't a Type I, what is it?

Phil,

The dark wavy lines usually are an oxblood color when stuck by light. This is the
purple that you see on Uwe's & Julio's fish. All Tefés would look like this if
they had a light shined on them properly. I feel that Uwe's photo is slightly
'enhanced'. Note the violet cast on the white part of the tail. It's possible
that a magenta filter was put over the flash or something like that. Both fish
mentioned are probably Tefé II forms, but you can't see the scales totally
surrounded due to the shininess of the scales. Type I Tefés show broke lines,
more like a series of dashes running parallel to the lateral band like on
Vierstreifen/4-stripe apistos. The only photo I know of this type is in the
Hoffmann & Hoffmann article from DATZ.

>
>
> As a side note, became interested in apistos because of the spectacular
> photo by Uwe Romer on Dave's site.  Someday when I get the husbandry down, I
> was hoping to keep a pair of them for no other reason than to enjoy the
> uniqueness of that fish.

Me too!! (no joke!) They're too rich for my blood right now.

Mike Wise

>
>
> REF:
> Uwe Romer's photo @ David Soares' site...
> http://geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7918/aggriotefe.gif
>
> Julio Melgar's photo...
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsmelgar/images/Aatefema.gif
>
> Randy's Type II (Per Mike)  BTW, Beautiful Fish!
> http://characin.com/carey/species/cichlid/apistos/a_tefe.html
>
> Thanks for the info...
>
> Phil
>
> PS.  I just finished a tank stand to hold 6 15 gallon tanks and a Daphnia
> culture in my bedroom... I finally convinced my wife that fish would make a
> lovely decoration!
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com>
>
> <---snip--->
> Randy's photo of Tefé shows  the many wavy
> horizontal lines that
> characterize the Tefé II form of the specie. The 2
> forms of this species can be
> easily separated by the pattern of horizontal
> stripes on the flanks. Tefé I has
> stripes composed of dark pigment only on the front
> edges of the scales. The same
> stripes in Tefé II are formed by black pigment
> surrounding the entire outer edges
> of the scales. Crossing the 2 forms reportedly
> produces only Tefé I type
> horizontal stripes, so the type II form must be
> recessive. Color forms are in the
> eyes of the owner. In Koslowski's 1994 article on
> Apistos of the Rio Tefé he
> pictures a red backed and a white form of what
> appear to be Tefé I and a yellow
> form of Tefé II. He doesn't distinguish between
> the 2 forms. Matsuzaka's book
> Aquarium 2300 Atlas shows a yellow & a blue Tefé,
> both Tefé II.
>
> That's the latest info that I have.
>
> Mike Wise
>
> ______________________________________________________
> Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto@listbox.com.
> For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
> email apisto-request@listbox.com.
> Search http://altavista.digital.com for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!




Up to Apistogramma/Dwarf Cichlids <- The Krib
This page was last updated 02 July 2000