You are at The Krib ->Apistogramma/Dwarf Cichlids [E-mail]

Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Possibly the shyest of the Pelvicachromis, the female P. subocellatus is diminutive, but displays a striking reflective pattern on her dorsal fin, and turns "candy stripe" red when in spawning garb.

Here's an illustrated spawning article by Bob Frangooles and Anne Page, from the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society.

Contents:

  1. P. subocellatus, Nannochromis Tranvestitus
    by Erik Olson (e-mail) (Wed, 21 Jan 1998)
  2. West African Dwarfs -- Nannochromis Tranvestitus
    by Randy or Deb Carey <carey/spacestar.net> (Wed, 21 Jan 1998)
  3. bred Pelvicachromis suboccelatus
    by Randy Carey <randy.carey/no.spam> (Fri, 30 Jan 1998)
  4. bred Pelvicachromis suboccelatus
    by mercy/halcyon.com (Robert S. Frangooles) (30 Jan 1998)


female


female in spawning coloration


male

Photos by Erik Olson

P. subocellatus, Nannochromis Tranvestitus

by Erik Olson (e-mail)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998
To: apisto/majordomo.pobox.com

Hi.  I just put up some articles on the Krib, one of which is a Sub-O
breeding article.  Our experience has been that when they were ready to
breed, it was pretty easy.  Getting them "ready" sometimes seems to
involve radically changing their environment ("Oh my gaaawwwd, we're gonna
die!  Spaaaaaaaaawn!"), or being out of town for a week or more.  So they
might spawn for you right after you've gotten them.  They are normally
exceedingly shy, and if given adequate cover, you'll hardly see them at
all.  Definitely a fish that does well with dithers.  When they do come
out, they're a very pretty fish, especially the female in breeding
coloration: candy-stripe red-and-black, with that super-reflective dorsal
fin... 

Tank conditions: low hardness, plants, 78-80 F, not too picky about food,
unless it's a wild specimen (I think we weaned ours first to baby brine
shrimp, and eventually to flake foods.)

As for N. transvestitus, well, there's only so many tanks we can keep at a
time, and so many hours in a day, but someday we'll breed this one.
Meanwhile, I do have a couple of posts others have made on this list...

  - Erik

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, AEIGPHD wrote:

> Hi.  I am new to this mailing list. I just started a 55 gal planted tank with
> 3 pelvicachromis subocellatus and 1 femal nannochromis transvestitus (tank
> alos contains congo tetras and west african killies).  I am looking to breed
> the cichlids.  I found these dwarfs in local pet shops but they are hard to
> come by.  Does anyone know of any good mail order or local New York
> breeders/suppiliers?
> Anyone have any breeding tips for theses species?   Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
> 
> 					-- Andy
> 
> 
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto-at-majordomo.pobox.com.
> For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
> email apisto-request-at-majordomo.pobox.com.
> Search http://altavista.digital.com for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!
> 
> 

---
Erik Olson				
eriko at wrq.com


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto-at-majordomo.pobox.com.
For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
email apisto-request-at-majordomo.pobox.com.
Search http://altavista.digital.com for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!



West African Dwarfs -- Nannochromis Tranvestitus

by Randy or Deb Carey <carey/spacestar.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998
To: apisto/majordomo.pobox.com

AEIGPHD wrote:

> Hi.  I am new to this mailing list. I just started a 55 gal planted tank with
> 3 pelvicachromis subocellatus and 1 femal nannochromis transvestitus (tank
> alos contains congo tetras and west african killies).  I am looking to breed
> the cichlids.  <snip>

> Anyone have any breeding tips for theses species?   Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
>                                         -- Andy

I'll give my recent experience with each of these.  I had a pair of wild-caught
subocellatus since last March, but they showed no interest in spawning and were
very shy.  In December I moved them to a 29 with a few tetras.  Within a couple
of days, the pair started to show color and female started to show interest in
spawning.  Then I conducted a 70% change with all r/o water and thinned out the
tetra community.  Shortly after, the pair spawned in a cave.  The female and male
work together guarding the fry.  They persistently bear text book colors.

The Nanochromis transvestitus are said to require a pH of 5.0 or below to spawn.
When I found fry, I observed a pH just below 5.0.  I know of at least two
successive broods living together in the 10 gallon, so the juveniles don't seem
to threaten the new fry.

As far as getting fish, you can ask on this list.  (All I have available are
fry/juveniles.)  Many of us will ship.  Also, you can check into the ACA, the
Apistogramma Study Group, or (if you breed fish) the North Am. Fish Breeders
Guild.

--Randy


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto-at-majordomo.pobox.com.
For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
email apisto-request-at-majordomo.pobox.com.
Search http://altavista.digital.com for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!



bred Pelvicachromis suboccelatus

by Randy Carey <randy.carey/no.spam>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998
Newsgroup: rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

I'd like to share an interesting experience.

Last March I had purchased wild-caught specimens of two of the rarer
Pelvicachromis:  suboccelatus and sacrimontis (a new species).  For each
species I placed a pair in a ten gallon tank and provided live food,
good water parameters, and various spawning sites.  

After months of no activity I moved a pair of sacrimontis into a
sparsely populated 29 community.  Immediately the pair showed an
interest in spawning.  The female would dance with a dark red/purple
body.  But success didn't come until I switched to mostly all r/o water
and the pH hit 6 or just below.

So I tried the same with the suboccelatus--moved them to a 29 and a few
weeks later conducted a massive water change to mostly r/o.  Again, the
pair showed interest once they were moved to the larger tank, and they
produced fry after the water change.

I've spawned captive-raised Kribs in a 10, but these apparantly required
more space.  I'm assuming it is because they are wild-caught, but it
could be a requirement of these two species.

Anyway, I list these fish (and others) at my website:
http://www.spacestar.net/users/carey/fishroom


-- Randy

Note:  The reply address is invalid.
Please direct correspondance to the address listed at my web site.


bred Pelvicachromis suboccelatus

by mercy/halcyon.com (Robert S. Frangooles)
Date: 30 Jan 1998
Newsgroup: rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids


I can't comment on your thoughts with regards to a wild-caught requiring
more space, since our pair is most likely not wild.  I can however say
that you can spawn subocellatus in a 10 gallon tank.

Our method for inducing them to spawn hasn't involved massive water
changes, instead we have had good success removing one of the pair, and
then re-introducing them after a week or so.

Bob

 Randy Carey (randy.carey-at-no.spam) wrote:
: I'd like to share an interesting experience.
: 
: Last March I had purchased wild-caught specimens of two of the rarer
: Pelvicachromis:  suboccelatus and sacrimontis (a new species).  For each
: species I placed a pair in a ten gallon tank and provided live food,
: good water parameters, and various spawning sites.  
: 
: After months of no activity I moved a pair of sacrimontis into a
: sparsely populated 29 community.  Immediately the pair showed an
: interest in spawning.  The female would dance with a dark red/purple
: body.  But success didn't come until I switched to mostly all r/o water
: and the pH hit 6 or just below.
: 
: So I tried the same with the suboccelatus--moved them to a 29 and a few
: weeks later conducted a massive water change to mostly r/o.  Again, the
: pair showed interest once they were moved to the larger tank, and they
: produced fry after the water change.
: 
: I've spawned captive-raised Kribs in a 10, but these apparantly required
: more space.  I'm assuming it is because they are wild-caught, but it
: could be a requirement of these two species.
: 
: Anyway, I list these fish (and others) at my website:
: http://www.spacestar.net/users/carey/fishroom
: 
: 
: -- Randy
: 
: Note:  The reply address is invalid.
: Please direct correspondance to the address listed at my web site.


Up to Apistogramma/Dwarf Cichlids <- The Krib
This page was last updated 29 October 1998